Wednesday 14 November 2007

One to remember (2)


The time seems right to do something on what I call my ‘third rule of writing’ (see this post). My third rule was more a revelation, and the revelation was this: Fiction is memory.

One day it occurred to me. Fiction writing isn’t trying to be a simulation of life. It’s attempting to be a simulation of memory. This distinction is crucial.

Looking over my first attempts at fiction, I see it attempting to be the former: an imitation of real life. Details crowd in whether or not they are important. No-one can go anywhere without turning off the light, putting away his keys, scuffing his feet down the long grimy flight of stone steps. The story drowns in irrelevance.

Fiction is the ultimate case of false memory syndrome. Look at what our memories contain. No-one remembers a single ordinary day at work, but everyone remembers the day they got fired. But we may have in our memory a ‘typical day at work’, which is likely to be a fudge of lots of different days. Only when something extraordinary happens does your mind bother to write you an actual scene, complete with dialogue, vivid scenery, and the clammy warmth of the hotel bath towel you were wearing when you heard the shout, ‘Oh my god, Nick, two planes have just crashed into the World Trade Centre.’

In a way it’s blindingly obvious. A story should speak of remarkable things. But to say fiction is memory helps to clarify matters. Fiction and memory obey the same rules. They share the same topography. They have the same broad, hazy plains, the sharp peaks and deep valleys. Or, to be less precious about it, they have the stuff you notice and the stuff you are merely aware of. The stuff you really notice is what makes you smile, laugh, cry or rage, or the things that really hurt.

So now, if I’m planning to write a scene, what I often do is write down a bland summary of the basic events that will be happening here. Then I look at the character whom it’s happening to, and wonder what they would make of it all. And then I write the scene – writing it how I think this character would remember it.

Sometimes it works.

I’m sure that one of the things I found so compelling about Lee Weatherly’s book Kat Got Your Tongue (see below) was that it served as a supreme example of this ‘rule’ – fiction being memory. A girl without her lifetime of memories becomes literally a different character, and occupies her own distinct narrative separate from her old self. Reading it I began to ask the question: Is the person we think we are just a story we tell ourselves? Aren’t we all, in the end, merely storytellers?

4 comments:

Lee said...

'writing it how I think this character would remember it'

What a terrific idea! However, I'm not sure the relationship between memory and fiction is as clearcut as you say, and in any case there are at least several types of memory - semantic, episodic (the one you probably mean), implicit or procedural, and of course, emotional - all of which the novelist can make use of.

Nick Green said...

You're right, it's a broad analogy rather than a definition I guess. I just use it as something to aim for; we can't falsify reality, that's too hard, but fabricating a memory, that might just be possible.

Emotional memory (and the other ones) probably deserve their own separate analysis. With reference to Proust I fear...!

Lee said...

The more I think about it, the more helpful it becomes to reflect how a particular character would remember an event - except the really traumatic one that is suppressed? Then I suppose the writer does the remembering for the character.

Sara said...

"Fiction is memory." What a juicy thought, and one I need right now, as I'm in the middle of a difficult revision. What matters, and what doesn't? To whom? Why? I'm always amazed that my sister and I have such different memories of our childhoods. Perhaps we can be defined by what we forget, too?

Thanks for this, and thank you for coming by my blog and commenting on my poem. Glad you enjoyed the process notes. I'm not sure if I'll do that for all my work, but for this one, there seemed to be a lot to say.

Now, off to investigate your book. It looks very intriguing...