Monday 3 September 2007

The oboe practice strategy

I’m currently revising my latest book, and I’m doing it a curious way around. Many years ago someone taught me a trick which is turning out to be very useful.

Now, I used to play the oboe. I still can play the oboe, sort of, but I’m ashamed to admit I hardly ever do these days. (Sorry, Delia, if you’re reading). I had a wonderful teacher (the Delia of the previous sentence) who showed me a trick to help me practise a particularly difficult piece. You play it backwards.

I’ll explain. The oboe is a bit like ballet: it’s harder than it looks. It sounds light and airy. Playing it can be like hauling bricks. If you’re out of practice, a single hour can be exhausting. Trying blowing up balloons through two splinters of bamboo and you’ll get some idea of what it does to your mouth.

The result of this is that when I practiced an oboe piece, I got really good at the first few bars. By the last few bars I was always knackered, so I played them atrociously. Delia’s solution was simple: practice the last bar first, then the penultimate bar, then the one before that, so that each ends up flowing into the next. The genius of this was that the bar coming up was always one I’d played before, so I didn’t have that sense of sliding into the unknown. To put it another way, the more tired I got, the more familiar the landscape underfoot. It turned from an outward journey into a journey home, and we all know those are less stressful.

Where does writing novels come into this? Well, I noticed that, just as my early bars were well-practised, so my early chapters benefited from much more work than my later ones. By doing my revision back-to-front, I find that I can concentrate on making each chapter the best it can be, without being distracted by wondering “What comes next?” This makes the whole process a bit like watching “Memento” (the film starring Guy Pearce), but it seems to be working.

Maybe when I finally finish I’ll get the oboe out of the cupboard and try a C Major scale or something. I probably owe Delia that much.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Not a bad tip. However, I seem to revise in a very eccentric fashion based on a random algorithm. Go figure.

Leslie Hawes said...

I use a similar revision technique for an art piece...hold it upside down or look at it in the mirror to see what areas need more work.
Very insightful tip for writing revision.

Nick Green said...

Yes, if only the upside-down/mirror trick worked for writing!

Arthur C. Clarke re-edited his book 2001 after seeing the rushes of the film. He recommended it as the most expensive way to revise.

Leslie Hawes said...

Clarke 's sense of humor is so pure. Every time I read something of his, I hear his voice telling the story.
The mirror trick doesn't work for writing revision? Oh, my, I've been doing it wrong...