Thursday 3 April 2008

The wisdom of Sesame Street


I don't know who wrote this (apart from Ernie) but as an anthem for a writer it's hard to beat.

Well, I'd like to visit the moon

On a rocketship high in the air.

Yes, I'd like to visit the moon,

But I don't think I'd like to live there.

Though I'd like to look down at the earth

From above,

I'd miss all the places

and people I love,

So although I might like it for one afternoon,

I don't want to live on the moon.

I'd like to travel under the sea.

I could meet all the fish everywhere.

Yes, I'd travel under the sea,

But I don't think I'd like to live there.

I might stay for a day there

If i had my wish,

But there's not much to do

When your friends are all fish,

And an oyster and clam aren't real family,

So I don't want to live under the sea.

I'd like to visit the jungle,

Hear the lion's roar;

Go back and meet a dinosaur.

There's so many strange places I'd like to be

But none of them permanently.

So if I should visit the moon,

Well, I'll dance on a moonbeam, and then

I will make a wish on a star,

And I'll wish I was home once again.

Though I'd like to look down at the earth from above,

I would miss all the places

And people I love

So although I may go,

I'll be coming home soon,

'Cause I don't want to live on the moon.

No, I don't want to live on the moon.